Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Closing Argument

   The time has come, and it is time for Atticus to present his closing argument. In my opinion, the closing argument is one of the most important parts of a trial as this is the attorneys' last chance to try and persuade the jury to vote in their favor. From what I have read lately, I notice that Atticus is quite a good lawyer. He is clever, and he uses smart plans and tactics. He plays smart. During cross examination, Atticus slowly builds up his case and doesn't go to try and make the witness look bad in front of the jury right away. Knowing this, I have high expectations for Atticus's closing argument. Before reading the part of Atticus's closing argument, I was pretty sure that Atticus would do well while presenting his closing argument. In my opinion after reading Atticus's closing argument, I think that he did really well. He truly had a strong closing argument, and even though it may have seemed almost impossible to win this case before, I am actually having more hope that the defense may win this case. 
   In Atticus's closing argument, Atticus starts off by telling the jury that this case is a simple case, and this case should have really not come to court. He basically gets to the point of saying that the prosecution has produced no medical evidence, and overall, they have not met their burden of proof. Now, in what I am hearing so far at the beginning of Atticus's closing argument, I think that Atticus is already onto a strong start. He then goes into how the witnesses (Bob and Mayella Ewell) seemed questionable and unstable during the cross examination. Atticus then gives the reason as to why Bob and Mayella brought this case to court based on the evidence heard so far, and then Atticus says something to jury that may affect them really well depending on how each of their personalities are. Atticus tells them that if they believe Bob and Mayella they are just as ignorant and stupid as the Ewells. This to me, seemed like a very strong part of the closing argument. Like I said before, each jury member can take what he said in many different ways. Some may not care that if they believe this, they are just as ignorant and stupid as the Ewells, and some may be really offended by the fact that if they do believe the Ewell's side, they are just as ignorant and stupid as them. Overall, the message that Atticus tried to make out during his closing argument was that everyone messes up no matter what race they are. Atticus ends his closing argument with an emotion filled plea to the jury, and brings up of when Thomas Jefferson said that "all men are equal". In reality, this is not true, but in the courtroom, everyone is equal. He tells the jury that it is up to them, and he tells them to "do their duty". To me, what Atticus mentioned and talked about in his closing argument is very powerful and strong. As a reader, this closing argument really reached out to me. Atticus truly brought hope to this case. 
Related image
When you finish reading Atticus's closing argument

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone in this class can agree with your feelings on Atticus's closing argument. It had strong words, emotion, and it put some doubt n the jury's mind for sure. He said some things such as: emotion over evidence, peer pressure by the Ewells, and or course racism. I agree with the second paragraph strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job in your blog post Eva, I was really entertained and I agree with you. Atticus's closing argument was very impressive and I am sure it made most of the jurors think. None of them wanted to be called "Ignorant and stupid" like the Ewells because they were at the bottom. I also think that another powerful point in his closing argument was when he said not all men were created equally but they were equal in court, he said that it was up to the jury to make them equal and told them to do their job which is to look at the facts of the case and explained it was not a hard case. Overall good job with your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a nice job on your blog post. There was a lot of detail but not too much where I felt overwhelmed while reading. You did a nice job breaking down the three main points in Atticus's closing argument and adding your opinion as well. I agree with you that with the points that Atticus made and the lack of evidence the prosecution. later in class we find out in the book that this is not the case and Tom is found guilty. I also liked the meme you put in your post.

    ReplyDelete