Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Good Guy Mr. Gilmer


We have just finished reading. While reading in class we only had a few pages to finish but there is one part of the end of this chapter that stands out to me. Since we first started to talk about the trail in the book I thought that all most everyone in the book would be single minded or just play along with the things that everyone was saying. This seems to be the cass for most of the people in the book but it has been shown that people can change. For example Mr. Cunningham. In one of the past chapter Mr. Cunningham is shown in a mob going to kill Tom Robinson so the truth won’t get out. Scout is able to change his mind by breaking his mob mentality. Even if his mind was only changed because of his son and for a short second his mind was still changed.
This shows how if you look into someone's life and realize they are human and have gone through different situations in their life you can understand them a little better. For all we know when Mr. Cunningham got back into his car to leave he was thinking of another plan to kill Tom Robinson. I don’t think his happened though because of the amount of guilt Mr. Cunningham would of had. To connect this to chapter 18 that we just finished, Mr. Gilmer is the lawyer for the plaintiff. During this whole trail he has been putting a small amount of effort into trail. Until now I thought this was because he just assumed he would win the trail with little to no evidence and just win of edmonton. Then in this reading Scout says something interesting.
She basically says that Mr. Gilmer was not trying to win the case because he knew the truth and secretly wanted the jury to say that Tom Robinson is not guilty. For me this part of the book changed who I saw Mr. Gilmer. He might not be the bad guy I thought. At the end of reading this chapter the one question I have left is how does Tom Robinson even fit into the story. Atticus has proven that there is no way that Tom could have rapped Mayella. The fact that none of the other children saw anything and weren’t there makes me think that the Ewells are just making the story up to get money. This still doesn’t explain how Tom fits into the story. By the end of the book I hope that we find this out. If the book ends on a cliffhanger I will be really disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. I do agree with your thoughts on the single-mindedness of Maycomb. They are ignorant and most are poor and have close to no education. I also agree with your case on Mr Gilmer. He seems like he is feeling guilty by helping the Ewells, and he wants Atticus to win the trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same with Toby, I do agree with your thoughts on the single-mindedness of Maycomb. I also think that you did really good on this blog post, it has the right amount of detail. You explained everything really good, and I really enjoyed it. I think that if there was a gif in this, then it would be better. I agree that Mr. Gilmer is feeling guilty because he knows that Tom is innocent, and that he would barely object to Atticus, and he will barely try to win the case. Overall really good job on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job with your blog post Nyla. I can totally agree with you, at the beginning of the chapter I thought that Mr. Gilmer was putting little to none effort on the case because he believed he would win the case but we discover that maybe not. Maybe he was trying to help atticus because he knew that Tom was innocent or most likely innocent. Mr. Gilmer also probably knows that the Ewells are the epitome of Maycomb and that they are probably lying about what truly happened. However, Tom still could of been in the scene, maybe he did chop the chiffarobe for Mayella but didn't rape or abuse of her physically because Mayella's injuries were on her right side and Tom was crippled on his left side. Overall good job and I agree with you in a lot of aspects.

    ReplyDelete