Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Final TKAM Post

We have reached the end of To Kill a Mockingbird. In the final chapters of the book, we finally get to meet the one character who had been spoken about, but not seen for the entirety of the book. Boo Radley finally makes an appearance. It turns out that he was the one that saved Jem and Scout's life. Boo doesn't look like he gets much sun. He has pale skin, grey eyes, and not much hair. He's obviously a man in his 30s-40s. Boo has a lot of stereotypes demeaning him; hence the name, "Boo". None of the stereotypes are true however, because he's actually very kind and sheepish. He acts as a child, probably due to a mental disability. The only line he says throughout the book is the line, "Will you walk me home?" He says this to Scout. This tells the reader a lot about Boo. It tells the reader that Boo is scared of everyone and that he is very meek. It's a ironic since throughout the book, everyone was scared of Boo. Now we learn that Boo is afraid of everyone. At the end of the book, Harper Lee included a small bit that I found interesting. She added in the part of a book named The Gray Ghost about a boy named Stoner Boy. Everyone in the book thought Stoner Boy had ruined the clubhouse, but in the end, they found out that he didn't and he was a very nice boy. I found it neat since Harper Lee is relating Stoner Boy to Boo Radley since they both had assumptions made about them. I think that this was a good move from Harper Lee's side because it really ties everything together.

Image result for outstanding moveSince it's the end of To Kill a Mockingbird, I feel that I should say how I personally felt about the book. I've been waiting to read this book since the sixth grade, but I knew that we would in Mr. Boyle's class. I, personally, thought it was very entertaining. There were a lot of things to keep track of, and there's no wonder why it's one of the best books in literature. In the book, there are also a lot of messages to be learned. For example, put yourself in someone's shoes and see from their point of view. This will help me be tolerant. There's also the lesson of do whatever is right when it's hard. When Atticus had defended Tom Robinson, he had to do what was right, and actually try when the whole town and even his own family judged against it. He was still respected throughout Maycomb because he did something that nobody else would've done. I think that this book has a lot of life lessons and will get me through life. I'm very sad that our reading of this book had come to an end.
Image result for crying meme

2 comments:

  1. I had felt that Harper Lee adding the part about Stoner Boy to show how similar Boo and Stoner Boy were was a smart move as well. I'd also been waiting to read this book for a while, I remember seeing 8th graders reading this book, and I'd always wondered what it was. For sure we could all use the morals taught throughout the book in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the part at the end of the book interesting with the relating story plots. I also found the book interesting and agree that there is good messages to be received and learned just like in life. I like your example of one of the good moral in the book which is to put yourself in someone else shoes which in my opinion is a very key thing in life.

    ReplyDelete