Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Monday, January 7, 2019

Finally Meeting Boo

In the last couple of chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird, we finally meet Boo Radley. We find out that he is not the man most people in Maycomb thought he was. He is not a crazy serial killer, but instead, he is a man who saved two children's lives. He has been secretly watching Jem and Scout and keeping them safe, and when Jem and Scout needed him most, he helped them and saved their lives. Boo was definitely not the man that most people in Maycomb thought he was. Boo is an introvert, and because of that, he stays indoors a lot. I understand why he stays indoors. He has a mental disability, and he has the mind of a child, and he is very shy, and that is why he stays indoors so much. I understand Arthur, and I think that it is good that he stays in since he is already so shy and since people would assume things and wouldn't understand him since he has the mind of a child.

For me, Arthur Radley is a hero. He looked after kids who made fun of him and who were afraid of him, and even then, he still looked after them. If I were Arthur, I would forget about them knowing that they are afraid of me. Boo went out into the open to save Jem and Scout. He did something has never done in years, just to save Jem and Scout. To me, Arthur is a hero because he went out of his comfort zone to save Jem and Scout from being killed by Bob. Arthur is also a mockingbird, and for this reason, I feel bad for him. Arthur Radley gets rumors made about him and people assume bad things about him, just because he never leaves his house. Arthur is a very shy person, and I understand why he would want to stay inside, and it is sad that other people in Maycomb don't make the time to understand him  and actually get to know him. It is sad how he is put down by rumors for no reason other than staying inside for most of his live.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a very good job on this blog post. I agree with you that it is okay that Boo stays inside, he should be comfortable. I also wish there were more people like Atticus to tell people that Boo really is a good person. I liked how one time we see Boo he shows true courage by saving Jem and Scout.

    ReplyDelete