Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Last Week Of TKAM


This week we Finished the book To "Kill A Mockingbird" I’m sad that I will not be able to read more about the adventures of Scout and the rest of the people in Maycomb. On the other hand I’m excited to see the movie and move on to another book. I think that this book had many great characters that added to the story in many different ways. Overall I think that my favorite that my favorite charter was Jem. He was very relatable because of his age and the things that he had to go through during the book. Many main scenes of Jem are about him trying to impress someone, be a role model, and act like someone that he is not.
One of my favorite moments was when Jem went to go the Radley’s house because he left his pants. This just shows how much Jem cares about his father and wouldn’t want to let him down. Another one of my favorite moments is when Jem stayed with his father after he told him to take Dill, and Scout home. Once again another example of true courage. I can relate to him trying to fit in with people and trying to make them proud.
During the book I also like that there were many scenes where Jem was shown crying. Guys in book and movies are usually depicted like they should not cry and if they do they are weak. I don’t think that this is true. Holding in all of your emotions will just make the situation worse. In one of the first chapters Scout says that Jem would cry about the death of their mother. This reminded me of how Darry from the outsiders didn’t cry at his parents funeral. He was ]probably trying to show his brothers how strong he is but they just thought he was emotionless while Scout feels bad for Jem and wants to comfort him.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of things here that you said about Jem are all true, and I never really realized any of this before reading your blog post. Jem actually is really relatable because of his age and his personality too and all. When Jem went to the Radley's house to get his pants, I can relate to him there too because I also want to make others proud and not disappoint them. I liked how you compared Jem with Darry from Outsiders, how Jem cries and doesn't worry about appearing weak, and how Darry and other guys in books and movies don't cry because they think it makes them look weak, but in reality Pony thought he was emotionless. I really liked how your blog post talks about how relatable Jem can be to us since we're about his age in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on Jem being like a regular kid and not steel unlike most movies depiction of a protagonist. I enjoyed the draw back to Darry from the outsiders the comparison is very valid and I am surprised as I never came close to relating the two. Though Jem also I wouldn't call the most normal kid as I agree with you he did show true courage in going back there to get his pants though I disagree if risking getting shot because you do not want to dissapoint someone is the right choice though it is just as much of a heroic act none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree a lot of things you said here Nylay, like when you said that Jem stayed with his father, but I got scared when Jem when to get his pants because when somebody shot, I taught they shot Jem, byt thankfully they did not shoot him. In my opinion, I did not like when Jem cries because it was sad, but it shows that he still has his child innocence and also had a good heart. Good example When you relate Darry with Jem that they both did not cry. Good job with your blog Nyla!

    ReplyDelete

  4. I agree with you on all of your viewpoints here! I found Jem relatable as well, because of his age and some other things. When Jem went back to get his pants from the Radley yard, because he doesn't want to disappoint his father, I found this very admirable as well. I also agree with you here, when Jem letting his feelings out by crying was good, because if he didn't it'll just build up and make have a huge meltdown all of a sudden one day.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I agree with you on a lot of similar things. I also thought that Jem showed true courage, by going back for his pants, so his father wouldn't find out. I like how you made the connection to the Outsiders, because it fits in with How to Kill a Mockingbird is. Although they are opposite situations, they are very similar in ways. That is why I love both of the books a lot, but for me by far, How to Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book, because it has so many deeper meanings to it than any other book I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree that men in movies are not supposed to cry, but this expands on jem's character more by saying he is very sentimental. I wouldn't say that jem getting his pants stuck in the fence was my favorite part but, it still was a very dramatic part in the book, especially when Nathan Radley shot his gun. Jem standing with Atticus also shows a lot about his character, and how jem is just a reflection of his father.

    ReplyDelete