Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Our Hero Boo...

Related image
Scout: *Sees Boo Radley*
In chapter 28, Scout and Jem were walking home after the pageant. Speaking of the pageant I would be super embarrassed if I were in Scout's position. Imagine you dressed as a giant ham then running on stage when you were suppose to do that but you fall asleep. That would be very embarrassing especially that Mrs. Merriweather told a little girl that she ruined her pageant, that's just harsh. Anyways, when Scout and Jem were walking home they kept on stopping because they heard footsteps. When they were under the tree they heard the sound of thick cotton rubbing against each other, all of a sudden there was someone running towards them. That person attacked the children, they broke Jem's arm and tried to choke Scout but her holy ham costume saved her from it. Furthermore, a fourth person showed up and saved the children from the person that attacked them. The fourth person brings Jem home and Scout follows along. When Scout was describing what had happened she said that someone else was there. There was a pale, thin, gray eyed, thin haired man standing in a corner, at that moment Scout said "Hey, Boo."
Image result for crying vine faces
Cries in Peter Parker

I personally find this scene fascinating, I think it's facienting because out of all the possibilities that they could have met they meet by Boo saving their lives. Boo watched Jem and Scout for years, he watched them grow up, play, meet Atticus at the corner, and them sneaking around his house. Because Boo has a mental disability he prefers the company of children rather than adults, this is why he wants to be friends with them but is too shy and socially awkward to do so. When Scout and Jem were attacked it was late at night and no one would hear what was going on. However, because Boo always looked out for them he went to rescue them from the outrageous Bob. Overall, Boo is the children's hero and he gave them a second chance in life by saving them from Bob. Do you agree? Do you disagree? What do you think? 

6 comments:

  1. Good job Emily, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I personally agree with you, the scene was very fascinating. It was surprising that Boo out of all the people saved them from death. And it's true, Boo has watched them for many years because he wanted to make friends with Jem and Scout. It is also true that Boo was the children's hero and I was surprised Bob would go so low and attack two kids who had nothing to do with the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, you have a very good detailed summary of chapter 28. I completely understand with you why you chose this specific chapter. When we read this in class, it was very emotional since they had finally met the man who just saved their lives. I think that Boo is a hero as well. I think that he was completely rational in killing Bob. He was saving children from a wrongful man. Good blog post, and I really enjoyed your pictures to show your emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a very good job on this blog post, Emily. You had a good summary of what happened the night of when Jem and Scout got attacked, and you had many opinions and views within your blog that I agreed with. I do agree with you on how it would definitely be embarrassing to be in Scout's position at the pageant. I also agree with you on when you said that Mrs. Merriweather telling Scout, a little girl, that she ruined her pageant is harsh. I also think that Boo is a hero to Jem and Scout, and the moment when we find out that Boo was the one who saved their lives is definitely fascinating and an eye opener. Overall, you did a very good job on your blog post, and your memes are very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that this is a fascinating scene because this scene is emotional and Boo came to save their lives. Boo has been watching them since chapter 1 and saved them when Bob attacked them and Boo is their hero. Good job on summarizing chapter 28 and saying how you feel about the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how you incorperated your own ideas and thoughts into your summary. I would also be embarrased if I had to run onto stage dressed as a ham, I probanlly wouldn't even go on the stage. I also like how you covered everything that happed, but in a good amout of space. I also think that this is a very interesting way of how they finally meet Boo. I think that it is a very good way for them to meet him and Boo gives them the best final present. I agree with you that Boo is the childrens hero and I feel bad that he can't be friends with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I also think that meeting boo this way was cool, they could of met him, if they were playing at night, and they just saw him walking around. I think when you said that he was watching them for year is true but it is pretty creepy that he was staring at them is kind of creepy if you ask me. I also think that Boo gave them a second chance of life, because if he was not there to save them the would be gone.

    ReplyDelete