Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The End of TKAM

We have finished the book "To Kill a Mockingbird", and it had a lot to say in the final chapter. In this last chapter, Boo had finally spoken for the first ever in this book. He told Scout that if she could walk him home, but he had said it in a softer silent voice. We think that Boo has a mental disorder that makes him act like a child, and Boo is more comfortable to be with children like Scout, Boo just wants a friend to hang out with because he is lonely. All of the stereotypes of Boo are false, he is just a shy person with the mind of a three year old. People think that he is scary, and they make rumors about him, even though Boo is the one that is scared. Also when Boo said the one line in the book, it also tells us that he is scared of everyone, and the only thing that makes him comfortable, is to be friends or around children like Scout. When Atticus was with Jem in the room and Scout comes in, he reads to her the gray ghost, and the person in the book that people thought he was evil, turned out to be wrong, it is just like Boo Radley, so I notice the connection between them.

In my opinion about this book is that I really enjoyed it, with some reasons that why I like this book. First I like how in each chapter that we learn something new that could help us in our lives. For example that we should make stereotypes about people, even if we don't know how they are, we should not make stereotypes about them. Another lesson that I learned is that violence solves nothing, for this Atticus was outside the jail to protect Tom from anyone trying to hurt him or even kill him. Also Atticus had no weapon to protect himself with, he only had a newspaper, this shows us that Atticus has true courage and that we should have true courage in ourselves. The last thing I like about the book is that you should not brag about our God given talent. For example Atticus' God given talent is to be the best shooter with a gun in the whole town of Maycomb. He did not want to show off his God given talent because he had never practice it, and it was given to him by God. This is what I like about not to brag about your God given talent because you did not earn it, and it was given to you. Overall I really liked this book and how it gives us lessons on how we should live a good life, and we can take those lessons and try to make them happen.

3 comments:

  1. I think that you did a good job on your last blog post. I can really see how you improved from the first blog post about his book to the last one. Your summary was good and had good details about Boo. I agree with you with all of the things you can learn from the book. I also like the idea that you shouldn't show off your God given talents because you didn't earn them. When reading the book that was my first time hearing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, this was a great blog post to end off the unit. I like that you captured some of the important themes and life lessons the book has given us. I see some of these in here: never judge or prejudice anyone, never show off your God-given talents, and the lesson that stands out to me the most is to always step into someone's shoes before you judge them. I really enjoyed the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I like the book because it gave us a lot of tips and we learn something new like almost each chapter and my favorite tip is that violence solves nothing. Yeah, I like the book too and you really list of the main examples about something that will help us in our lives. Yeah I will probably take one of those lessons and probably I will definitely use is brag about my talent because I really don't like bragging that much. Nice job with your blog Alex!

    ReplyDelete