Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Atticus using the Golden Rule

I find it funny that instead of Jem just sending Boo Radley the note through the front door, but he tries to put it in the window. This plan would have never worked, because how would Jem know if Boo read it, because there is no way to take off the note of the fishing pole to leave it there. I find it stupid that he would even try to do something like that just to get Boo Radley to come out of the house. I also find it funny that Dill totally didn't do his job. He was expected to ring the bell once someone was coming, not when he wasn't already there. Dill started ringing the bell once Atticus was in front of him, not when he was walking down the street towards them or even before that. I think that their entire plan to give Boo Radley a note was terribly planned and executed, and why couldn't Jem have listened to Scout in the first place and just not disturb Boo and make fun of him.


Image result for meme telling the truthI think that Atticus is very smart to make his own kids confess to something that he already suspected they were doing. When Atticus caught them getting the note, he used the Golden Rule to get Jem to confess what they were doing. The Golden Rule is when you don't ask a question you don't already know the answers to. Atticus knew what they were trying to do, and he got Jem to say everything that they were doing. We talked about how everyone uses the rule besides lawyers, parents use this rule on us all the time. I realized that my parents have used the rule on me too. I find it funny that Atticus knew the entire time what they were doing, and when he gave his kids the chance to confess, Jem did, he didn't totally try to lie his way out of it, and that shows a lot, and even I wish I would tell the truth a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment