Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Friendship

Today in class we have just finished reading chapter four on To Kill A Mockingbird. Sofar I think that the book is very interesting I think that Harper Lee’s writing style is unique and something that I’m not really used to. A few things have happened in chapter four but the thing that I will talk about today is at the end of the chapter when Dill, Scout, and Jem are playing a game. The game is of course about Boo Radley that Jem has made up. Scout played Mrs. Radley, Dill was Mr. Radley and Jem of course played Boo himself. Dill, Scout and Jem reenacted rumors that were spreaded around town. One of the rumors being that Boo stabbed his father in the leg with a pair of scissors randomly when he was cutting paper for his scrapbook.
The children showed this in their game by having Jem cun pecis of newspaper and the fake stab Dill. I have really enjoyed this book so far because I think is shows the importance of friendship. The ending of chapter four shows how the children use their games and creativity to understand the real world. I rely on your friends to help you understand the world. I think that now during this time period we take friendship for granted. People are very untrusting and lonely because they think that having close friends in the book is not apart of the real world. This can even go back to the fact that people are losing their child innocence to fast. As you lose your childhood innocence you start to realize that people can turn on you or just not respect you for who you are. This is why I admire and aspire to have a friendship like Scout, Jem and Dill.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said on friendship and how you equated and related it back to the time period and norms of that period. As in the Great Depression most people had very little friends and only supported themselves. Though Scout, Jem, and Dill's friendship is very different they trust each other and get mad at each other, but never hurt each other emotionally and are good friends to each other. Their friendship is so different from the norms of the time. As for childhood innocence I think you are saying they have not yet lost their childhood innocence which is what you admire which I believe and agree with you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how most of your blog post was your oppinions rather than a summary, I agree with you to the fact that the book is interesting so far and not like anything i've ever read before. I also think you made a good point about the importance of friendship and relating Jem, Scout, and Dill to this.

    ReplyDelete