Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Family Love

The main thing that happens in this chapter is that Aunt Alexandra comes to visit to provide a womanly figure and love in Jem and Scout’s life, but this mostly applies to Scout. It is now summer and Scout and Jem spend a lot of time outside. Scout tries to stay outside a lot to get away from Aunt Alexandra. I can really relate to this because during the summer and holidays I go and visit my family or they come and visit me. I always try to keep myself away from the adults and busy doing some activity. In the book when everytime Scout walks into the house Aunt Alexandra makes her talk to someone. When my family visits all of the adults group in one room to talk.
All of the children try to avoid this room because if you walk past this room you will get trapped into a conversation that lasts way longer than is needed. Another part of this chapter that stood out to me is how much pride Aunt Alexandra had in the family and the fact that Scout and Jem didn’t really understand this. When I visit family or my family visits me people always talk about family history. When I was younger I always thought this was very clingy and something I didn’t need to know but as I became older I started to become more interested in my family history. I liked reading this chapter because it could understand what Scout was going through and laughed a little. I can understand the reasons why Scout doesn't like when Aunt Alexandra visit, but this is just a normal part of being apart of a family. Scout still loves Aunt Alexandra even though she may bother her sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I also go and visit my family over the holidays, and I spend more time with my cousins, then I do with the my aunts and uncles. Whenever, my family gets the chance, they always want to talk about past stories. I agree with you that Scout should stop being rude to Aunt Alexandra because she is family. However, I think that Scout is just a kid who doesn't understand a lot of things about her family, because Atticus doesn't tell her much about her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate too with you on trying to keep myself away from the adults during family gatherings, and they all just end up all talking in one room anyway. All of my cousins and I also try to avoid the adults' room too because we'd rather play board games than be trapped in an hour long conversation with the aunts and uncles. I disagree with you though about Scout loving Aunt Alexandra, because it's seems from what we've read so far that Aunt A. doesn't really love Scout either. Yes, she bothers Scout a lot, but it may be more out of pride for the family than love for Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely can agree with you, when family or friends come over for holidays or even parties. Its a whole crazy party of children making a mess, adults having conversations, and older kids on their phones. I just keep away from everyone as much as I can, I do sometimes go down to greet everyone but then I leave again. I think that Aunt Alexandra loves Scout only a little bit, not as much as Francis though. Aunt ALexandra just tries to change Scout to act as a lady, she should just let Scout be herself. Overall, Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I can say that you are very relatable here. Having family over and making conversation is not the easiest thing to do. I could relate to Scout in a sense as well, because I always try to not talk to the adults during family gatherings. You did a very nice job here relating to Scout in the chapter. There's a lot of feedback and opinion here.

    ReplyDelete