Reflections on Harper Lee's classic novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Blessed Trinity 8th graders.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

TKAM Post

In the beginning of chapter 13, we see Aunt Alexandra Finch has come to have a stay at Jem and Scout's house. She had gotten there before Atticus was back from Montgomery, so Scout didn't know what to say. Alexandra said she would stay there for a while Uncle Jimmy runs the Landing. When Atticus gets back, he explains that he thought that having Aunt Alexandra stay for a while would be good for Scout. Since Atticus can't be around much, she'll be there as well. Also, she would be a "female role model" in Scout's life, although she already has Calpurnia. It's been a couple of weeks, and Alexandra is fitting in perfectly. She's joining clubs and having talks with the other women of Maycomb. She had mainly been there to make Scout into a girl, but she was caught up in all of the "streaks" and hereditary things in Maycomb. Like a mean streak, gambling streak, drinking streak, and etcetera. When Atticus brings up the Finch streak of incestuous, she denies it. Alexandra wants Scout and Jem to live up to the Finch family name. It seems at the end of the chapter that Atticus is mad Alexandra is trying to do this. He then storms out of the room.

I think that Aunt Alexandra is being very rude. She's very up-tight and only judges other people. Anything that is denouncing the Finch name is false to her. For example, their cousin Joshua, who costed the family $500. Jem was afraid that we would be like that in the eyes of Alexandra. My opinions about Aunt Alexandra are not very fond. I think Scout is on the track of being a better person than Alexandra. Jem is also very different in my opinion. I think that's he's trying to be like Atticus more and more, trying to be a gentleman. I also think that Atticus is ashamed about his family in some aspects. He doesn't like talking about some sides, so that is why Scout didn't know her cousin Lily. My final thoughts on the chapter is that I think it's odd that most of Maycomb's residents are related one way or another. Incest is not a very normal thing, nor is it legal now. That intrigues me that it is like that.
Image result for rude meme

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Alexandra is being very rude, by thinking that jem would end up, costing the family money. I also agree that jem is trying to be like his father. What I think is that Atticus is disappointed at his sister, but not his kids. I do not agree with incest because, there can be some deformities, in the offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your summary for chapter thirteen, you put all the detail that was in that chapter. I think that Aunt Alexandra is very rude, mostly to Scout, because she wants to be a tomboy, and not act like a girl. I agree with you on your opinion on the end of the chapter. Overall good job on this blog post, and I think in the future, they will be even more better.

    ReplyDelete